The basics: I'm 22 years old, male, and live in Washington, DC. I'm originally from New York's trying but beautiful Hudson Valley. I studied economics and computer science at Bard College at Simon's Rock. Now I sling code at Lab49; before that I spent nine months as a research intern working on monetary policy and criminal justice at the Cato Institute. My life plans are in flux.
I prefer simplicity, round lines, small government, and men.
Official Productive Capacities I've Had
- I worked at Rutgers CIMIC the summers after eighth and ninth grade. There I got my first tastes of Solaris, Oracle, NetBeans, and the horrors of J2EE and DHS (yes, that one) combined.
- I worked for then-New York State Senator Vincent L. Leibell as a research assistant after freshman and sophomore years of college. Wonderful people, more government inefficiency (but it wasn't our fault!).
- I helped new-to-politics Congresswoman Nan Hayworth win her seat, taking off the Fall 2010 semester in the process. Doing so involved everything from canvassing to policy briefing and, in the process, I met even more wonderful people (some of whom will be lifelong friends, I hope). Love you, Mom.
Not in any particular order (pardon my indulgence):
- My favorite programming language is Haskell most days. My thesis is in Erlang and I do work in Python, though.
- I'm a Mac guy and I use vi. My desktops, though, are both SGI machines (an Octane2 and a Fuel). I don't use them as often.
- I love studying the recent past, for example the history of operating systems and industrial advertising of the '60s and '70s. Urbexing is something I have yet to do, but it seems like something I'd enjoy very much.
- Milton Friedman, Friedrich Hayek, and Henry Hazlitt are my intellectual and political mentors. What I would have given to meet any of them...
- I am a registered Republican with very, very libertarian leanings (a Milton Friedman-style "libertarian first, Republican second"). I first registered as a Libertarian but realized that practicality is what counts in many organic systems (New York State elections and government being one such). My favorite politician of all time is Barry Goldwater. My second-favorite is my mom.
- I'm also a Subaru person. Best cars ever.
- My mom raised me on Steely Dan, but I listen to Lady Gaga, too.
- My favorite off-air television show is Frasier. The only current TV show I have time for is Glee.
whayworth AT Gmail (gmail DOT com) works well enough. I have a PGP key (and trust PGP's spam-free keyserver to serve it).